Now, I never usually make New Year's resolutions, but this year I thought it would be fun to make some classic film related ones! I already posted this on tumblr, so some of you will probably already have seen it, however, I have added a few extras...
- Watch more silent films. Much as I love them, I really don't watch enough. I often start watching them and then just never finish.
- Watch more Hitchcock films. I am sadly lacking in the Hitchcock department - I haven't seen nearly enough of his magnificent films. I want to have seen all of his 1940's films, that I haven't already seen, by the end of 2011.
- Try to complete my Deborah Kerr film collection. I've seen almost all of her films, but only own 30-something.
- Try to complete my Greer Garson film collection. Again, I've seen almost all of her films but only own about 20.
- Hoard more Eleanor Parker films. I doubt I'll be able to complete this collection this year, but I own about half of her films so I will try to add to those.
- Hoard more Maureen O'Hara and Barbara Stanwyck films. Again, there's no way I'll be able to complete these collections in 2011 but I can certainly add several titles to them.
- Pick at least one Old Hollywood actor/actress whom I currently dislike/ignore and try to watch more of their films to give them a chance. I've been meaning to watch more Elizabeth Taylor films because I've only seen 2 or 2, and, whilst I don't dislike her, I've just never really given her a chance and generally bypass her films. This time last year I wasn't a fan of Myrna Loy or Joan Crawford and now I love Myrna and really enjoy watching Joan's films!
- Watch more Patricia Neal, Glynis Johns, Anna Magnani, Joan Blondell, Hedy Lamarr, Eva Marie Saint, and Jean Arthur films.
- Try to watch as many of the films as possible on the following lists: IMDB Top 250, Academy Award Best Pictures, BFI 100 (Top British Films), The 100 Most Significant German Films, and AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies.
It'll be interesting to see how much of the above I have accomplished by this time next year. Will I watch more silent films that sound films? Will Elizabeth Taylor be one of my favourite actresses? Will I have watched 100s of films from the lists I mentioned? Who knows! Let's meet back here in a year...