About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Monday 28 February 2011

Look! It's what's-her-face!! Oh, wait... no it's not.

Jean Simmons. Arlene Francis. Irene Dunne. Katharine Hepburn. Vivien Leigh. Ava Gardner. Norma Shearer. Cyd Charisse. Maureen O'Hara.

There is something that all of these actresses have in common besides their being part of Hollywood's Golden Age. That something is the fact that at some point I have confused one or more of them with another. My "confusions" have lasted from years to just a couple of months, but the evidence of my folly is there - and it's made all the more embarrassing by the fact that several of them are my absolute favourites now. So, without further ado, I will reveal to you just who exactly I mixed up...

Jean and Vivien

Jean in Great Expectations and Vivien in Gone With the Wind look quite similar. THEY DO, THEY DO, THEY DO! Except their hair is light and dark respectively - a minor detail! Anyway, I was always confusing them until 4/5 years ago. I also used to think that Jean played Bonnie in GWTW. Now that is really embarrassing.



Cyd and Ava

Always, always. I am a huge fan of both Cyd and Ava, but I still occasionally glance at a photo and think, "What a nice photo of Cyd... Ava... ".

Katharine and Maureen

I find it really hilarious to think that I ever confused these two women. 4 years ago I saw The Wings of Eagles on the tv and the picture must have been excessively bad, or I must just be stupid, because I saw CHEEKBONES, RED HAIR and snappy tones and thought I was watching a Maureen O'Hara film. I'm not sure exactly when I realised that Kate was in fact Maureen, but it was certainly after the film had ended.


Irene, Arlene and Norma

I can't even begin to explain how much confusion these three ladies have caused me in the past. I confused Arlene with Norma, Norma with Irene, and sometimes all of them with each other. I don't even know why because they don't resemble each other at all, unlike the previous people I have mentioned who I think do have a look of each other.

There are quite a few more people I could mention whom I've confused (Errol Flynn and Laurence Olivier anyone? No? *cough*... ) but I feel like I've embarrassed myself enough already. But everyone gets people mixed up at sometime or other, don't they? The shame is not all mine, I hope.

2 comments:

  1. I used to confuse Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. I also was confused with Bob Hope and Gene Kelly. It's all so confusing at first. I'm sure we've all had our share of mix-ups. And for what it's worth, I do think Jean and Vivien look alike, especially when they are both brunettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William Powell and Clark Gable.

    It was the mustaches.

    ;-D

    (That was when I was five. BUT STILL.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...