About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Saturday 4 December 2010

Oh, how I love Christmas films!

I love Christmastime. I love the carols and songs, I love the mince pies and ginger wine, I love the decorations, I love going to Midnight Mass, I love being with family... I love EVERYTHING about it! I also, obviously, love Christmas films and the films that, whilst not of a particularly Christmassy nature, are usually shown on British t.v. during Christmastime. I love the old ones and the new ones, just as long as they're about Christmas I'm happy. Therefore, I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite Christmas films. I wouldn't normally post about post-1970 films, but for this post the majority of the films are modern films.

White Christmas (1954)

























I remember my Mum buying this film in HMV when I was about 8. I also remember thinking it would be a load of rubbish. Oh, how wrong I was!! I adore this film. Everything about it is perfect - the Christmas theme, Rosemary Clooney's voice, Rosemary Clooney's fabulousness in general, Vera-Ellen's dancing, Bing Crosby's voice and Danny Kaye's comedic talent. It's not just one of my favourite Christmas films, but also one of my all time favourite films. If you haven't seen it, you should go out, buy it and come home immediately to watch it!

Home Alone (1990)
























I grew up watching this film. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it now, but it NEVER gets old. I could watch it a hundred more times and I'd still love it as much. There's no film that gets me more in Christmassy mood than this film (and it's sequel).

Home Alone 2: Lost In New York (1992)
























I can never decide whether I love the first Home Alone film or this, it's sequel, better. They're both hilarious and poignant in so many ways, and can always put a smile on my face. The best way to watch both of these films is to watch them with my Dad - his laughter whilst watching Harry and Marv stand on nails/set their heads on fire/get electrocuted etc. etc. is so infectious.

Miracle On 34th Street (1947)
























I think I actually saw the 1994 version of this film before the original, and I do love them both, but you really can't beat Maureen O'Hara, Natalie Wood and Edmund Gwenn. The film is one of the most magical Christmas films there is.

Elf (2003)

























I first saw this film about 3 years ago, when I was watching t.v. and just happened to flip over the channel and catch it at the beginning. I couldn't stop watching, and I've adored it ever since. It still makes me laugh, even though I've seen it more times than I should probably disclose ;) I think it's the perfect blend of humour, poignancy, and make believe. I really love the beautiful way in which Buddy looks at the world and it's many marvels - with so many of them being things that we wouldn't normally think of as marvels. The world would be a much more joyful place if more people saw the world like Buddy does :)

Love Actually (2002)

























I refused to watch this for ages because it didn't sound like it would be my cup of tea at all, but when I finally watched I fell in love with. There are only a select few modern romcoms that I like, and this is probably my favourite of the bunch. It has a (mostly) superb cast - Alan Rickman, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, Bill Nighy, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Hugh Grant, to name but a few. Some of the storylines are truly beautiful, with my favourites being David (Liam Neeson) and Sam (Thomas Sangster), Jamie and Aurélia, Billy Mack (Billy Nighy) and Joe (Gregor Fisher). It's not a children's Christmas film, but nevertheless, there's a really magical atmosphere about it.

Shrek (2001)

























In recent years, Shrek always seems to be shown on British t.v. on Christmas Eve, and I only ever seem to get around to watching it then, so I know it's really Christmas when Shrek is on the t.v.!

The Holiday (2006)
























I definitely don't think that this is one the most enjoyable Christmas films ever made, and half of the plot just makes me yawn, but Kate Winslet's character, Iris, and the story surrounding her really intrigues me. I love the film just for Iris and the snowy scenes really, but I think if it wasn't set at Christmas I wouldn't be so enthusiastic.

Other favourite films to watch at this time of year...

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001, 2002, 2003)

























Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)
























The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005)

























How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
























The Family Stone (2005)

























I know I've not posted for a while, but hopefully I'll be back to posting more regularly soon :)

3 comments:

  1. yay you are back!! please stay back. :) great choices.

    and babs killed it in no man of her own. so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, great to have you back!
    And you have to watch a Christmas movie called Holiday Affair, with Janet Leigh and big Bob Mitchum: it opens up the top of your head and pours in pure liquid yuletide right up to the brim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Meredith - Ahahah, I'll try :)

    Oh gosh, she was fabulous wasn't she? It's one of my favourite Stany films - her performance is legendary.

    @Matthew - Thank you! :) Ooh, I will. I'll see if I can get hold of a copy in time for Christmas - thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...