About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Thursday 28 July 2011

guitars (and other twangable instruments) in classic films

Last week I started teaching myself the guitar (it's not going too badly, in case you were wondering ;D) and that gave me an idea for a post: Guitars (and similarly shaped and strung instruments :P) in classic films.

Hmm, let's see if I can make it easier...



From: The Sound of Music (1965)

Two drifters off to see the world



From: Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

Put the blame on Mame, boys



From: Gilda (1946)

Oh! I really think you're swell!




From: The Parent Trap (1960)

Now you sing, Schmidt! 


(Starts around 4:20)

From: Lilies of the Field (1963)

I don't care if it rains or freezes 'long as I got my Plastic Jesus



From: Cool Hand Luke (1967)

I spent ages trying to think of other instances of guitars (and banjitars ;D) in films, but whilst I could think of many other instruments, guitars just weren't there. If you can think of any more, PLEASE let me know because I know there must be so many obvious ones that I've left off. 

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your music. Maybe someday we'll see you on YouTube.

    Some other movie guitars: Debbie Reynolds in "The Singing Nun", Roy Rogers and Gene Autry in their singing cowboy flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Thank you! If I ever get proficient enough to start posting videos on YouTube, I'll be sure to let my blog readers know :) I also play the trumpet and can say that without a doubt the guitar is MUCH more relaxing!

    Oh gosh, how didn't I remember "The Singing Nun". I only watched it a few months ago! Thanks for reminding me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then there's this, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...