About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Friday 30 December 2011

New Year's Movie Meme

The Girl with the White Parasol created a wonderful New Year's movie meme and I can never pass something like this up so here are my answers! 

1. What is your all-time favourite Grace Kelly costume?

I talked about my favourite Grace Kelly dress in my Fashion in Film Blogathon post.

2. What classic film would you nominate for a remake?

As a general rule, I'm not fond of remakes. Unless the film is based on a classic book or play (such as Pride and Prejudice. I will not, however, endorse a remake of something like The Thin Man.) or unless the original film was a load of rubbish, then I really don't think there is any need for remakes. That being said, I would probably go and see a remake of Jamaica Inn. I'm really not a fan of the Hitch film (one of his only films I actively dislike) and I think it could make quite a great film if remade by the right person.

3. Name you favourite femme fatale.

Although I absolutely detest her blonde wig and think the overall film is a bit overrated, Phyllis Dietrichson (Double Indemnity, 1944) is the ultimate femme fatale in my books. I'm also a big fan of  Virginia Mayo in White Heat (1949) and Jane Greer in Out of the Past (1947).


4. Name the best move with "heaven" in it's title.


Leave Her to Heaven (1945)

5. Describe the worst performance by a child actor that you've ever seen.

Usually the ones that are really bad I block from my memory but, after racking my brains for far too long I came up with:


Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds (2005). Probably not the worst performance by a child actor, but definitely the most annoying. I have an irrational love of the film and used to watch it all the time but it really put me off Dakota. Seriously, just stop screaming, girl!

6. Who gets your vote for most tragic movie monster?

Probably Frankenstein. I don't watch a huge amount of "monster" films though so it's not the most educated of choices.

7. What is the one Western that you would recommend to anybody?

Either Giant or The Big Country.

8. Who is your ideal movie-viewing partner?

One of my classic film buddies (one of whom is visiting for 5 days in January!). 

9. Has a film ever made you want to change your life? If so, what was the film?

As a lot of the people answering this question have said, films in general have changed my life but there isn't one particular film that has made me want to completely change my life. Having said that Anne of Green Gables and The Sound of Music are probably the two films that come closest to making me change things about myself. AOGG (both the books and the film) made me embrace my rather vivid and wild imagination and, perhaps most importantly, made me realise that being "different" (aka, being overly passionate about things and seeing many things in life in a different light to others) isn't a bad thing but something to cherish. "I Have Confidence" because of TSOM. I'm not even joking. When the dog bites (he never does though), when the bee stings (it was a wasp), when I'm feeling sad, stupid, lonely, or inferior to everyone else in the world, I simply remember my favourite things and The Sound of Music, and then I don't feel so bad because Maria von Trapp was a HBIC and I am too! (Please just forget I ever wrote that, k? ;D)

10. Think of one performer that you truly love. Now think of one scene/movie/performance of theirs that is too uncomfortable for you to watch?

You all know how I feel about Deborah Kerr. And, as such, some of you will know how I feel about a particular atrocity that she appeared in...


*whispers* The Gypsy Moths (1969)

11. On the flip side, think of one really good scene/performance/movie from a performer that you truly loathe.

I don't loathe any performer but I do dislike Grace Kelly (something that seems to get stronger with every passing year). However, the scene in High Society (1956) where Tracy Lord (Grace) meets Celeste Holm and Frank Sinatra is such a brilliant scene and I think Grace was really wonderful in it. 

"Oh, English history has always fascinated me. Cromwell, and Robin Hood and... JACK THE RIPPER! Where did he teach?"


12. And finally, since it will be New Year's soon, do you have any movie or blogging-related resolutions for 2012?
I'll be making a separate post for my film related New Year's resolutions like I did last January. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...