About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Friday 18 March 2011

Films I Can Watch Over and Over #1

Each time I make one of these posts will write about a film which I can watch over and over again without ever getting sick of it. To be honest, there aren't a huge amount of films that I love this much - or, that I love in such a way that if I put them on when I'm not feeling too good I know will put even the tiniest of smiles on my face. However, these films are pretty amazing in my books and I'm quite excited to share them with you!



The Sound of Music

I'm pretty certain that a lot of people love to watch this film when they're a bit under the weather because it's uplifting (to a point where I'm almost certain it's illegal), it's beautifully shot (I would watch this over and over for the scenery alone. GASP! I long for the day when I can go to Austria myself and see all of that astonishing beauty first hand.), it's Julie Andrews and my Eleanor, it's all of my favourite things put together in one fabulous film. If there could be such a thing as a perfect film, I'm sure that this would be it.

I first saw it when I was 4, and from that day on, I was hooked. I watched The Sound of Music (and The King and I) at every opportunity available and I reveled in it. It just seemed like such an idyllic world to live in. I didn't know who Hitler and the Nazis were back then, I thought that Baroness Schraeder was being kind to Maria by convincing her to go back to the convent (But that's a whole other story. I could rant about how the Baroness is not a horrible person, and how most people would have done what she did, for days!), I didn't comprehend the struggle that Maria was going through when having to choose between her life as a nun and her life with Captain von Trapp, and I didn't understand the tension during The Lรคndler Ladle Dance. As I grew older, I began to realise that it wasn't such a perfect world. Yes, there was Eleanor Parker, people singing ALL THE TIME AND IN PUBLIC PLACES (can we just pause for a moment to imagine how utterly magical it would be if that actually happened?) Julie Andrews and Julie Andrews' voice, BA nuns, and children that wore curtains, but there were also terrible things happening. Things that drove the von Trapps out of their country. Still, that didn't dampen my love for the film. Rainbows and unicorns still danced around me when I put the VHS in. They will never stop dancing because my love for this film knows no bounds. When I start watching it and I hear the birds chirping and the first faint strains of music, my heart skips a beat and I shiver with excitement. It's a feeling of coming home. The Sound of Music is part of me.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this film so much. To quote another Julie film, it's "practically perfect in every way"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite movie. I don't know what I can say about it that hasn't already been said by somebody...maybe I'll think of something highly original one day. :) But it's certainly one special film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It truly does give the feeling of coming home! I can't get enough of The Sound of Music!! It is definitely the most amazing, perfect, wonderful, delightful, film ever created!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...