About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Saturday 4 September 2010

In which I present you with 5 of my favourite Old Hollywood Autobiographies...

I thought I'd make this post as I LOVE reading Old Hollywood autobiogs. and thought that it would be a good idea to share my favourites. :) I'm only posting some of my favourite autobiographies in this post, as if I included biographies as well...WHEE! We'd be here all night! ;D

Love, Lucy by Lucille Ball


Put simply, I adore this book. I couldn't put it down and finished it in about 2/3 days. One thing that really puts me immediately off an autobiography is when the author decides to trash people,. The thing that really struck me about this book was the fact that Lucille never said anything mean or spiteful about anyone, be it someone from her childhood or from her adult life. She was truthful without being nasty. If you "love Lucy" (oh my days, how corny am I!?), then I guarantee you'll adore this book! I respect, love, and admire Lucille even more than I already did after reading this. :)

Me by Katharine Hepburn


Ok, what can I say? If anyone else had written a book like this I would have sneered and tossed it away, but when it's Kate...oh.my.days. You can hear her talking through the pages! It's a huge mess of a ramble, really, but it's so hilarious...I can't even begin to list the reasons you should read this book... "Ingrid Bergman played the whore..."... oh, Kate!! It's a few years since I read this book, but it stuck in mind so much - definitely a must read! :D

'Tis Herself by Maureen O'Hara


Before I bought this book, I saw a review on Amazon.co.uk saying something like "She comes across as a bit arrogant...". NOT A BIT! Maureen O'Hara isn't arrogant one bit, she's just honest. It's a sad thing when people confuse honesty with arrogance. She's modest, but she doesn't have false modesty! The last few chapters of the book had me crying bucketfuls - especially the beautiful way which she remembered John Wayne and his final few weeks.

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie Andrews


It's a couple of years since I read this (I think it was maybe just after it was published...) and I can't remember it all that well. However, I do remember that I really, really enjoyed reading. I think I read it in a couple of days. When reading the book, it's as though Julie is reading it to you - the warmth and geniality that she exudes in every film, interview and photo, you can feel whilst reading Home.

No Bed of Roses by Joan Fontaine


I just recently read this book, and I have to say...I LOVED IT! When i started to read it, I think I was expecting - and this was quite stupid really - that she would be making snide remarks about Olivia from page 1. I couldn't have been more wrong. In one particular passage, quite early on in the book, she speaks directly about how they always had their differences, and not once does she say anything that could leave the reader feeling as though it "was all Olivia's fault". I highly respect her for that, as it would have been so easy to fill the book with snide comments about things Olivia may or may not have done. I firmly believe that both of the de Havilland sisters are not at all lacking in class. :)

Well, there you have 5 of my favourite autobiographies! I'd like also to urge you to read this book (it's not Old Hollywood, but it is, quite frankly, amazing and beautiful!)...

Some Sunny Day by Dame Vera Lynn


This is another autobiog. I couldn't put down. It further cemented my belief that Dame Vera must be one of most beautiful people ever to live. "Lovely" doesn't do her justice - she was, and is, a truly beautiful person. She is so warm, generous, gracious, and just absolutely wonderful! READ IT! ;D

I have a few books lined up to read...

The Making of the African Queen: Or How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind by Katharine Hepburn (I'm told this is a most amusing book! ;') )

By Myself and Then Some by Lauren Bacall

Ava: My Story by Ava Gardner

A Book by Desi Arnaz

If you've read any of the books that I've mentioned in this post, please let me know what you thought of them! :)

A presto!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I love to read biographies about classic actors too! I wish I could get all these books, maybe I need to find someone with a credit card to order these :) Anyway, the only AUTObiography I've read is one of the many books by Shirley Maclaine. I downloaded part of "Me" read by Katherine Hepburn (tell me if you want the audio) but I haven't listened to it completely. I SO want Lucille's!! In fact I want every book in this post plus Ginger's and David Niven's autobiography. Also, do you know if there is any Deborah Kerr's bio/autobiography?? Ok, I started to hyperventilate, so I won't write more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Ginger's autobiography is AMAZING! Seriously! ;) Deborah didn't write an autobiography, but there's an old, old biog. of hers by Eric Braun. Also, there's a new biog. coming out very soon called "Deborah Kerr: A Biography" and it's by someone called Michaelangelo Capua. Tbh, I'm a bit dubious about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? I'm so gonna buy that new Deborah's bio :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't aware Desi Arnaz wrote an autobiography! le awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Making of the African Queen" is an amazing book...sort of a photo-log rather than a narrative but great, great reading.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...