About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Friday 2 July 2010

My 10 Favourite...

...I don't feel inclined to tell you just yet.

Hah!

Sorry about that...

Today I intended to step up to the challenge and do the "Name Your 10 (or 20, if you're like me and can't just pick 10...) Favourite Actors/Actresses" post that I've seen on almost all of the classic film blogs I follow. But I didn't realise how late it had become, and so I've decided to postpone it! So, instead of that, I'm going to share with you my favourite songs from musicals. This won't include songs from musicals any later than 1971 (a.k.a. Fiddler on the Roof ♥ ) because...I said so.

And now, in no particular order, I give you my favourite 10...

Soooongs From the Muuuuusicals!

Do You Love Me? - Fiddler On the Roof


This is possibly my favourite from any musical. It's so simple, but it's so poignant. There's nothing remotely showy, extravagant or show bizzy about it...it comes straight from the heart, and makes me have a tear in my eye every time! Watch Tevye's cute 'little boy' embarrassed moment when Golde says "I suppose I do!" after he asks her if she loves him at 1:50 - I promise you will "Awww!"

Shall We Dance? - The King and I


Ok, this just had to be in here. I first 'saw' The King and I when I was couple of weeks old, and I like to say I've loved it ever since (; It wasn't actually the film, but it was a dress rehearsal of a stage production that my brother was in. It's the first film I remember watching, but I must have seen it before because I remember saying to my Mum "Is this the film with the pretty lady in?"!! See, I loved Deborah even then! But anyway, I'm getting side tracked. I love all of the songs in The King and I, but this song combined with the amazing chemistry between Yul and Deborah just makes it SO immense! When I was little, I used to dance around in circles outside singing the song and pretending to be Anna (I used a jacked as the King...). It's kind of a fantasy of mine to buy that dress (hands off!! You know who you are!! ;D ) and recreate the whole setting of the song. Minus Yul Brynner, because, much as I love him, he sometimes scares me...and I wouldn't want that in my fantasy dance. But anyway, back on track: Just watch it! They literally sizzle...

Oh, and muchos gracias to the lovely Marni Nixon for lending her beautiful voice! But really, Deborah wasn't as bad as Audrey Hepburn, or, I hasten to add, Natalie Wood. (I must add that I do love the aforementioned ladies a lot, and really don't care that they couldn't really sing...)

Good Morning - Singin' In the Rain


(it won't let me embed it, and I it won't let me upload it myself, so...I'm sorry!)

Ok, who doesn't love this? Every time I watch it I want to get up and dance (and have been known to do so several times...). A few years ago I used to start every day with this song. It's an amazing motivator! Also, Debbie's outfit is the cutest thing ever! And Donald O'Connor is such a darling ♥ This is what musicals are all about. It's like...the perfect musical, and this song is the perfect song for the perfect musical! :D <>

America - West Side Story


Aside from Rita Moreno who is hilarious, beautiful and just generally amazing, this is a wonderful, wonderful song! It's another one that makes me want to get up and dance. For me, it's the song that makes me like West Side Story, rather than just hating it...which I really would if it didn't have this, Rita Moreno, Natalie Wood and George Chakiris in it.

The Trolley Song - Meet Me In St. Louis


Come on, it's Judy Garland, do I need a reason?

Sister Suffragette - Mary Poppins


Glynis Johns singing is just the best thing ever. Her voice is so colourful and shrill, but in a way that doesn't seem shrill at all. I know I make no sense, but I do tend to get all gushy when I'm talking about dear Glynis. I adore Julie Andrews in this film, but I adore Glynis very much too! She's HILARIOUS, with a a humongous capital H! I loved her when I was little ♥ Several people have randomly told me that I remind them of "the crazy mum from Mary Poppins". I don't think that's necessarily a good thing, but it's kind of funny! So yes, this song never fails to cheer me up! :D

Some Enchanted Evening - South Pacific


I've chosen the video with the vocals by Ezio Pinza because no one sings it like him. His vocals give me shivers up and down my spine - I want my future husband to sing that to me some day (; It's gorgeous and oh so romantic...♥

I Remember It Well - Gigi


"Ah, yes...I remember it well!" Good old Maurice! Also, the fantastic Hermione Gingold ♥ They compliment each other so perfectly! It's one of my favourite songs from the whole film :D They're both so very, very cute and darling! (:

Wonderful, Wonderful Day - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers


(another one I can't embed...)

Despite Seven Brides for Seven Brothers being rather sexist, I still love it! And I love this song. A lot. I used to hate it, and hate Jane Powell's voice, but it's really grown on me. I love Jane Powell now, and this song is just so happy and sunny and...it makes me smile :D And...all those lovely mountains that aren't at all painted, and the lovely birds that fly past at exactly the right moment!! Oh, it's all good! (;

Do-Re-Mi - The Sound of Music


(It's really rubbish quality, sorry! It's the only one I could find of the actual film scene...)

Who doesn't know and love this song!? I've been in love with The Sound of Music and all of the songs ever since I was tiny. Julie Andrews was another of my idols, and I used to sit in my room trying to sing like her for hours on end! Also, in 2008, I was lucky enough to see the Lord's production of it in the London Palladium. It was the most incredible experience. When the Mother Abbess sang Climb Ev'ry Mountain I cried my eyes out! Anyway, this song just makes me hugely happy (yes, today I'm in the mood for happy songs...yesterday it might have been all of my favourite depressing songs...) and makes me want to hop on a plane to Salzburg, run around the mountain tops singing and dancing....and then jump in a lake and getting severely reprimanded by Christopher Plummer. :D But hey, as long as I get to meet Julie A. and Eleanor Parker...

So, there you have it. My 10 Favourite Songs From Musicals. Yep, in a months time several of them will have changed, but who cares!?

I hope you enjoyed, and I'd love to know what your favourite songs from musicals are! (:

A presto!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...