About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Tuesday 8 June 2010

Eleanor Parker...Forgotten?

Well, is she? I think she is, and she doesn't deserve that. If you don't know who she is, perhaps this photo will jog your memory...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yep, that's her. I know many people who love The Sound of Music, but when I say something like "Oh, I thought Eleanor Parker did a wonderful job in that film!" they give me a blank look and ask who she was in it. For goodness' sake! (If you're reading this and still don't know who she is...she was Baroness Elsa Schraeder :| )

I also don't think Elsa and Max's songs - How Can Love Survive? and No Way To Stop It - should have been left out of the film, but that's another matter altogether.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

She is one of the most versatile actresses I've seen, and definitely one of my favourites. She seemed to be able to take on any role without any difficulty, and I admire her greatly for that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Other than The Sound of Music, which is probably her most famous role, she made some wonderful films in the 40s and 50s. I haven't seen anywhere near all of her films, but the ones I have seen, as you can probably tell, I am very impressed with. In simple terms: I adore her.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It's honestly beyond me why she has been so forgotten. She had everything - brains, talent and beauty. It's just so sad. She never really received the recognition that she deserved, but the fact that she is now being forgotten is even sadder.

So, if you're a fan of Eleanor, please comment saying what your favourite film of hers is and just lets sing her praises! (:

A presto!

(Sorry for the short post, I've not been at all well the last couple of days though!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(With 'Marta' and 'Kurt' from The Sound of Music)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(as a young girl)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(strongly dislike the dress, but she looks stunning!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(in Lizzie)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes my day. I've only seen her in The Sound of Music but I've always been incredibly impressed by her performance and wondered what else she had done. I was under the impression she had done more theatre and less film for some reason but clearly I was wrong and need to watch some of her other films asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gingeyginge - Thank you(:

    Meredith - Oh, I'm so glad! (: You should most definitely watch some of her other films. The first one I saw her in, other than The Sound of Music, was Three Secrets - and I loved it. (They made a remake(!) in 1999, but I refuse to see it. It should never have been remade.) You should also check out Caged (1950, Lizzie (1957), The Man With the Golden Arm (1957), Interrupted Melody (1957) and The Voice of the Turtle (1947).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when people pay attentio to underrated stars! I have to admit *hum* I also only know Eleanor from 'The Sound of Music' -- but I hope to be able to catch up on her films soon (: I'm actually glad there are so many classic films and stars to discover, that it's almost impossible to know them all. If it were, I wouldn't know what to do if I'd seen and know all of them ;D Okay, actually I would: start watching everything all over again, haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Man with the Golden Arm (1955)

    If you haven't seen it, you have no idea what that woman was capable of. Absolutely the best role of her career, IMHO.

    mark-

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...