About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Saturday 19 June 2010

Star of the Day

Celeste Holm


I can't remember whether I first saw Celeste in High Society or All About Eve, but, whichever it was, she certainly made an impression on me.


I think it was her wonderful facial expressions that endeared her to me (endeared me to her? It's one of those phrases that I'm never quite sure which way around it goes...) and the fact that, if needed, she was always there ready to bring some comic relief. Hmm...that sounds like possibly High Society was the first film I saw her in! She doesn't have much to be comical about in All About Eve...

(from l-r: Gary Merrill, Bette Davis, George Sanders, Anne Baxter, Gregory Ratoff and Celeste)

I've seen in a fair amount of films, and she never fails to bring a smile to my face. I also love her voice. She reminds me a lot of Barbara Stanwyck, especially in looks and a little in voice too!


Don't you think? They were both too gorgeous! Grr...

I'm actually gearing myself up to write a letter to her at the moment. Having not had the chance to send letters to Deborah Kerr, Jean Simmons and Cyd Charisse (all of whom I was in the process of writing to, or about to write to at the time of their passing...), I've finally decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I'm a bit nervous because, and I know it's silly, it almost feels like I probably shouldn't write in case she...passes away too! I will let you all know when I write to her and when I hopefully get a reply of some description! I would go absolutely bananas...



A presto!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...