About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Thursday 17 June 2010

Star of the Day

In Memory of Cyd Charisse


Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.

I'm convinced if Shakespeare had been writing that in the '50s, he'd have been writing it about Cyd.



Words cannot describe my love for Cyd (real name: Tula Ellice Finklea). When I was little, she was one of the people I 'wanted to be' when I was older. I wanted to look like her and, of course, be able to dance like her. Hah. In my dreams!

I was really upset to hear of her death, 2 years ago, to the day, June 17th, 2008. It's actually really strange, because I didn't know who or what to blog about today, so I thought "Oh, I'll just do a star of the day!" So, I decided to blog about Cyd, even though it had completely slipped my mind that today was the 2 anniversary of her death. I was searching for a couple of extra photos to put in this post, when I remembered. I was quite gobsmacked for a moment!


Cyd is most remembered for her amazing ability as a dancer (but she was a wonderful actress too!). She is definitely my all time favourite. I'd pick her over Ginger Rogers any day. Don't get me wrong though, I love Ginger too! There's something about Cyd that just completely mystifies me, always has done.


It's hard for me to pick one of my favourite Cyd dance numbers, but I think I would probably go with her dance number in Singin' In the Rain. I've always loved this scene - it makes me want to get up and dance, and then it makes me want to cry! Oh, the power of dance!



(I can't embed either, unfortunately)

I also love this scene from The Band Wagon


And this scene from Silk Stockings


Whenever Cyd danced, it was magical. It just seemed so natural and easy for her - it was a part of her!



Rest in Peace, Cyd. I'm sure that you're dancing to your hearts content up there in the clouds - without getting all bruised (if you're dancing with Gene!) ♥




(I wish I had her looks...)


(...and her figure!)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh Cid ... .... I think is the most perfect for beauty and as a dancer. Love, and I love his films, elegant with Fred, magical with gene. Wonderful and dreamy in Brigadoon-by me has already been with this movie and singing in therain-and even if you don't love the police need to see it with Bob Taylor in Party Girl, a film which I want to talk about as soon as possible. Miaoooùùùùù Sophie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...