About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Wednesday 2 June 2010

More Magic from the Golden Age of Hollywood

Bonsoir, mes amis!!! I hope you've been able to make the most of this lovely day! I haven't been able to go downstairs or out into the garden unfortunately (silly M.E), but I had the window open and, though I couldn't see the sunny garden and sky due to light sensitivity, I could feel the lovely breeze and hear the birds chirping! Luckily, the birds were being very thoughtful and kept their chirping to a quiet degree - the same can't be said for the children, who, as it's half-term, were out shouting, screaming and generally being too noisy and extremely annoying. So, my mother had to keep coming in and shutting the window when they were out, and opening when they weren't!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I always like to watch light, fluffy Audrey Hepburn films on days like these - so I did! I thoroughly enjoyed myself! (: The thing with the fluffy Audrey Hepburn films is that they mostly take place in France, they are always sunny and bright, and they have delightfully soppy happy endings. They make the perfect films for me on these days, and I adorrre them. (You have to say that in the voice that Audrey uses in Breakfast At Tiffanys when she's says she adorrres Tiffanys (; )

Anyway, it's time to get down to business. I've been trying to decide who to talk about today, as I've decided to post 5 of my favourite actresses from that time, and then to take a break and just talk about other stuff, and then start again. So, as I've already done Bette, and I'm going to a whole post about Deborah for the last post, I couldn't decide who to do in between! I am so terrible at decisions! However, I finally decided on the lovely Greer Garson!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Greer (born Eileen Evelyn Greer Garson on 29th September, 1904 in Greater London and died 6th April, 1996 in Dallas) was a wonderful actress. Whenever I think of her, the word 'perfect' always seems to pop up in the middle of her name. Absurd. Bizarre. She was by no means perfect, but she always seemed to portray perfection - on or off the screen.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I first saw her in Mrs. Miniver, and, as she portrays a seemingly perfect upper middle class housewife, that could be where her perfection in my head comes from! I adore her in Mrs. Miniver.

I next saw her in Blossoms In The Dust...and she was an almost perfect character in that too. In most of her films she was a sweeter, but still with some steel, version of Mary Poppins, in my opinion.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

She was breathtakingly beautiful, one of the most elegant women I've ever seen, and had charm and grace beyond anyone nowadays. She wasn't merely beautiful, she was luminous. She was highly intelligent and earned degrees in French and 18th Century Literature. Maybe she was perfect? I like to think so...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Whatever she was, she was lovely. I thank God I know who she is, and I hope that many, many other people will come to adore her like I do! Long live her memory!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post Sophie on Greer Garson. Mrs Miniver is one of my faves too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...